Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lessons Learned of a Newish Mommy

A year ago I was anxiously awaiting Eli's arrival, now I'm starting to look for his first birthday invitations. A year ago I was wish time would pass quicker, now I wish I would have been a little more patient & cherished each moment. A year ago I was buying newborn sized clothes for my unborn baby, now I'm chasing an 8 month old around.

Thinking back on where I was a year ago makes me realize everything I have learned as I became a new parent.
I've learned:
When everyone tells you to enjoy your time before the baby is born, do it. Just take some time for yourself, because those moments will soon be fleeting.
You won't ever be a 'perfect' parent. There really is no such thing.
It's no longer a big deal if your normally spotless house is a bit messy, it's more important to cuddle with your baby while you still have the chance. The toilet will still need scrubbed tomorrow, but that sweet baby is growing up before your eyes.
Be patient, relax, & enjoy the moment. When you're waiting for your baby to be born, when your ready for bed but your new baby isn't, & when you can't wait for your baby to reach his next milestone. You'll miss that moment one day & wish you hadn't rushed it away.
You will save a TON of money by using cloth diapers. They really aren't that hard.
Save a little time for yourself. You are not a bad parent if you want an afternoon to yourself. You are only human.
Ask for help, you are not super mom.
Your baby doesn't need 100 newborn or 0-3 outfits. The can all be washed & worn again. Return a few for some bigger sizes, you'll need them later.
While you want to be educated on what is best for your baby, being paranoid & overly cautious is not necessary.
Money doesn't matter to your baby. As long as he has the food he needs, a safe place to sleep, & a loving family, he has everything he needs. Fancy toys are not necessary & he will probably enjoy the box it came in more.
Take LOTS of pictures. You will soon be shocked by how tiny your baby once was, & will regret not taking more pictures & videos of him at each stage.
Make back ups of those pictures! Just in case the terrible happens, make a back up & keep it in a safe place (like a fire proof, water proof safe). Losing all those images will make you sick.
Be thankful for the beautiful baby you hold in your arms every day.

My son means the world to me & I can't wait for him to teach me more & more everyday. I am blessed to have such a sweet little boy.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!

Danielle said...

I gave you The Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award
come check it out
http://giveawayjunkie.blogspot.com/2011/07/i-won-irresistibly-sweet-blog-award.html